Here is episode 3 of Fate Going As It Must: A Beowulf Talk Show! On the show I talk with people who are fans of Beowulf to try to understand how they discovered the poem and why they think it’s still important. This is a monthly show, but there are some special announcements in this episode that will disrupt that for a bit. You can find the previous episode here.
This is a solo version of the podcast, so I am interviewing myself. While going through my usual questions I talk about:
- How I got into Beowulf
- When and where my translation started
- What kept me translating over the years
- Why Grendel’s mother is the best monster
- The awesomeness of Beowulf: A Musical Epic
- How Beowulf is both simple and layered
- How Beowulf reflects the humanity of stories and storytelling
Feel free to leave your thoughts on the show and on the topics covered in the comments. Or, go ahead and answer this question: What is the book or story that’s most influenced your life?
The theme music for the show is:
The Pyre by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License